Initiative, Tenacity, and Flexibility
所在版块:心情闲聊 发贴时间:2010-07-01 19:43

用户信息
复制本帖HTML代码
高亮: 今天贴 X 昨天贴 X 前天贴 X 
Initiative
-----------------------------------------------------

"The difference between people who exercise initiative and those who don't is literally the difference between night and day. I'm not talking about a 25 to 50 percent difference in effectiveness; I'm talking about a 5000-plus percent difference, particularly if they are smart, aware, and sensitive to others."
- Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

The dissertation represents a focused, personal research effort where you take the lead on your own, unique project. If you expect that your adviser is going to hold your hands and tell you what to do every step of the way, you are missing the point of the dissertation. Ph.D. students must show initiative to successfully complete the dissertation. This does not mean that guidance from professors is unimportant, just that this guidance should be at a reasonably high level, not at a micromanaging level. If you never do any tasks except those that your professor specifically tells you to do, then you need to work on initiative.

At UNC, there is a famous anecdote about a former UNC graduate student named Joe Capowski. Many years ago, UNC got a force-feedback mechanical arm to use with molecular visualization and docking experiments. The problem was how to move it to UNC. This mechanical arm is a large, heavy beast, and it was in Argonne National Labs in Chicago, IL. Unfortunately, there was a trucker's strike going on at the time. Joe Capowski, on his own initiative (and without telling anyone), flew out to Argonne, rented a car, drove the mechanical arm all the way back to North Carolina, and then handed the computer science department the bill! Many years later, Joe Capowski ran for the Chapel Hill city council and won a seat. Prof. Fred Brooks gave him an endorsement. I still remember the words Dr. Brooks said: "I may not agree with his politics, but I know he'll get things done."

While the Joe Capowski anecdote is perhaps a bit extreme, it does show that it is often better to ask forgiveness than permission, provided you are not becoming a "loose cannon." Certain universities (e.g. MIT) are good at fostering a "can do" attitude among their graduate students, and therefore they become more assertive and productive. One of the hallmarks of a senior graduate student is that he or she knows the types of tasks that require permission and those that don't. That knowledge will come with experience. Generally, it's the senior graduate students who have the most freedom to take initiative on projects. This privilege has to be earned. The more that you have proven that you can work independently and initiate and complete appropriate tasks, the more your professors will leave you alone to do what you want to do.

Tenacity

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity."
- Louis Pasteur

You don't need to be a genius to earn a Ph.D. (although it doesn't hurt). But nobody finishes a dissertation without being tenacious. A dissertation usually takes a few years to complete. This can be a culture shock to former undergraduates who have never worked on a project that lasted longer than one quarter or semester (at the end of which, whatever the state of the project, one declares victory and then goes home). No one can tell you in advance exactly how long the dissertation will take, so it's hard to see where the "end of the road" lies. You will encounter unexpected problems and obstacles that can add months or years to the project. It's very easy to become depressed and unmotivated about going on. If you are not tenacious about working on the dissertation, you won't finish.

Tenacity means sticking with things even when you get depressed or when things aren't going well. For example, I did not enjoy my first year of graduate school. I didn't tell anyone this until after leaving UNC. I was not on a project and was focused on taking classes, some of which I didn't do all that well in. I didn't feel a part of the Department, and really wondered whether or not I fit in. Still, I stuck with it and when summer rolled around and I got a job in the Department, I became much more involved in research and enjoyed graduate school much more. Part of earning a Ph.D. is building a "thick skin" so you are not so fragile that you will give up at the first sign on any difficulties.

One lesson I learned as a graduate student is the best way to finish the dissertation is to do something every day that gets you closer to being done. If all you have left is writing, then write part of the dissertation every day. If you still have research to do, then do part of it every day. Don't just do it when you are "in the mood" or feeling productive. This level of discipline will keep you going through the good times and the bad and will ensure that you finish.

Flexibility

"Back in graduate school, I'd learned how to survive without funding, power, or even office space. Grad students are lowest in the academic hierarchy, and so they have to squeeze resources from between the cracks. When you're last on the list for telescope time, you make your observations by hanging around the mountaintop, waiting for a slice of time between other observers. When you need an electronic gizmo in the lab, you borrow it in the evening, use it all night, and return it before anyone notices. I didn't learn much about planetary physics, but weaseling came naturally."
- Clifford Stoll, The Cuckoo's Egg

"The Chinese call luck opportunity and they say it knocks every day on your door. Some people hear it; some do not. It's not enough to hear opportunity knock. You must let him in, greet him, make friends and work together."
- Bernard Gittelson

Flexibility means taking advantage of opportunities and synergies, working around problems, and being willing to change plans as required. As a graduate student, you are on the bottom of the academic totem pole. Even undergraduates can rank higher, especially at private universities (because they actually pay tuition!) You cannot order anybody to do anything. In general, you will be in the position of reacting to big events rather than controlling them. Therefore, you must be flexible in your approach and research program.

For example, you may not have as much access to a piece of laboratory equipment as you would like, or maybe access is suddenly cut off due to events beyond your control. What do you do? Can you find a replacement? Or reduce the time needed on that equipment? Or come in at odd hours when no normal person uses that equipment? Or redefine the direction of your project so that equipment is no longer required?

Events can be good as well as bad. The difference between the highly effective graduate student and the average one is that the former recognizes those opportunities and takes advantage of them. I had nothing to do with bringing Gary Bishop to UNC. But after he arrived I realized my research would progress much faster if he became my adviser so I made the switch and that was a big help to my graduate student career. Opportunities for synergy and serendipity do occur, but one has to be flexible enough to recognize them and take advantage of them.
欢迎来到华新中文网,踊跃发帖是支持我们的最好方法!

Many events have slipped by.
And you are here, now, always.

People are not memories that you can put into words. They live.

相关帖子 我要回复↙ ↗回到正文
有没有读博士读到很想放弃,什么力量才能坚持下去呢 roseberry   (326 bytes , 2239reads )
就想想毕业后的美好 可以无忧无虑到处逛逛 然后就尽量努力了 fengweinku   (0 bytes , 432reads )
打倒黑暗的势力,其乐无穷 mkx   (26 bytes , 529reads )
昨晚看到你了 fool   (0 bytes , 409reads )
Computer Science Graduate School Survival Guide 辰星   (826 bytes , 699reads )
这个当顶。。顺便拜下费曼和Hitchhiker系列。。 马甲甲甲   (0 bytes , 442reads )
Conclusion 辰星   (2142 bytes , 491reads )
The Ph.D. job hunt 辰星   (11620 bytes , 722reads )
Balance and Perspective 辰星   (6543 bytes , 537reads )
Organizational skills and Communications skills 辰星   (9226 bytes , 513reads )
Interpersonal skills 辰星   (9228 bytes , 589reads )
Initiative, Tenacity, and Flexibility 辰星   (7375 bytes , 533reads )
Graduate school is a different ballgame 辰星   (3379 bytes , 446reads )
Academia is a business 辰星   (4975 bytes , 496reads )
Why get a Ph.D.? 辰星   (4029 bytes , 624reads )
Introduction 辰星   (4196 bytes , 492reads )
看开点 水鸭子   (1056 bytes , 615reads )
谢谢大家的建议 roseberry   (633 bytes , 584reads )
“最糟糕的是没有其他人能带我做” 水鸭子   (108 bytes , 470reads )
这个就是问题所在 roseberry   (64 bytes , 546reads )
还有这样的实验室啊。。。 watercooler   (108 bytes , 537reads )
没有动力去做好研究,那有动力干什么呢? Nemo   (232 bytes , 527reads )
忍不住回一下贴 阿修   (474 bytes , 856reads )
把对未知世界的渴望与追求转化成一个文凭,然后 二十一日上天   (6 bytes , 503reads )
他乡发照片征一个... 卷心菜   (0 bytes , 458reads )