Balance and Perspective
所在版块:心情闲聊 发贴时间:2010-07-01 19:44

用户信息
复制本帖HTML代码
高亮: 今天贴 X 昨天贴 X 前天贴 X 
Choosing an adviser and a committee
-----------------------------------------------------

"Some students in the lab are only nominally supervised by a thesis advisor. This can work out well for people who are independent self-starters. It has the advantage that you have only your own neuroses to deal with, not your advisor's as well."
- from "How to do research at the MIT AI Lab"

The choice of an appropriate adviser is crucial to successfully completing the Ph.D. Your adviser must be someone who can cover your area of specialization and someone you can get along with. When I started graduate school, I thought the adviser - student relationship was supposed to be very close, both professionally and socially. In reality, the relationship is whatever the professor and the student choose to make of it. It can be close, with invited dinners at the professor's home, or it can be distant, e.g. meeting once per semester just to remind the professor that the student is still alive.

One basic question in choosing an adviser is whether to pick a junior (non-tenured) or a senior (tenured) professor. Non-tenured professors tend to travel less and are generally more available. It is difficult to get help from an adviser who is never in town. Non-tenured faculty have fewer advisees that you have to compete with to get time with the professor. They are more likely to be personally involved with your research -- writing code, spending time in the lab at midnight, etc. Non-tenured faculty must be energetic and hard working if they want to be awarded tenure, and this work habit can rub off on their students. However, tenured faculty have several advantages as well. They are usually the ones with most of the money and resources to support you. They do not have to compete with their students for publications and recognition. The advisee does not run the risk of having his or her adviser not getting tenure and leaving the university. Tenured faculty are more experienced with "how the game works" and thus may be better sources of guidance, personal contacts, jobs after graduation, etc.

I ended up with a non-tenured professor (actually, he was not even on the tenure track at the time) as my adviser, but also put several tenured professors on my committee, including some of the most senior ones in my specialty. In that way, I got the best of both worlds: the day-to-day attention from the primary adviser, combined with the resources and experience of the committee.

Professors develop reputations amongst graduate students. Some are known to graduate their Ph.D. students rapidly. Others are impossible to get hold of, so their students take forever to finish or leave without graduating. Some dictate what their advisees have to do, while others are accommodating of student interests. Ask around. What you learn may be revealing. And if circumstances change to make another professor a more appropriate match to your needs, don't be afraid to switch if that is an overall win.

When picking a committee, you want to make sure they can cover all the areas of your thesis. You also want to make sure that it is likely that all the committee members will be available for meetings! Including too many professors who travel often will make it difficult to get all five or six together in one room for a three hour oral exam or proposal meeting. When scheduling such meetings, start by finding times when the difficult-to-reach professors are in town, and then add in the other committee members.

Balance and Perspective
-----------------------------------------------------

"Life goes by so fast, that if you don't stop and look around, you might miss it."
- from the film Ferris Bueller's Day Off

"Generally speaking, people provide better maintenance for their cars than for their own bodies."
- Scott Adams, The Dilbert Future

When I was in graduate school, my top priority was crystal clear to me: getting out with a Ph.D. Other people described me as "focused like a laser beam" on that goal. In retrospect, I may have been too focused. There is more to life than graduate work. Keeping your health and your sanity intact are both vital to achieving the primary goal of getting out.

Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) is a major occupational hazard in our industry. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is just one type of RSI. If you do not know how to set up your workspace for good ergonomics, learn now! The Pascarelli reference at the end of this guide is a good book on this subject. Over a dozen of my friends and coworkers have been inflicted with this problem. In severe cases, RSI can be a career-ending injury. If you can't type, it's rather difficult to write papers, computer programs, presentations, etc. Don't let this happen to you! Prevention is the way to go. Recently I have been working with weights to strengthen my shoulders and wrists as an additional preventative step.

Earning a Ph.D. is like running a marathon. You have to learn to pace yourself and take care of your body if you want to reach the finish line. Unfortunately, students often act like sprinters running a marathon. They are highly productive for a while, but then fall by the wayside because they aren't eating correctly, exercising, taking time out to recharge their batteries, etc. You maximize your long-term productivity by not ignoring those other aspects. While I was in graduate school, I took time out to travel up and down the East Coast, from Boston down to Orlando. That was an important part of keeping my stress down and recharging my batteries. I also did some running and circuit training for exercise. For shorter breaks, I shot nerf basketballs at a tiny hoop mounted in the graphics lab and kept a guitar in my office. Figure out what works for you.

It's easy to lose perspective while in graduate school. You are surrounded by so many other smart, hard working people that it is easy to feel inferior and lose self-esteem and confidence. But without an underlying confidence that you do have what it takes to complete a dissertation, it's too easy to drop out when the going gets tough instead of sticking it through. I found it useful to keep in touch with the "real world," to remind myself that the graduate student population is not representative of humanity in general and to keep my perspective. You got into graduate school because you have already shown to your professors that you have potential and skills that are not typical among most college students, let alone most people -- don't forget that.
欢迎来到华新中文网,踊跃发帖是支持我们的最好方法!

Many events have slipped by.
And you are here, now, always.

People are not memories that you can put into words. They live.

相关帖子 我要回复↙ ↗回到正文
有没有读博士读到很想放弃,什么力量才能坚持下去呢 roseberry   (326 bytes , 2239reads )
就想想毕业后的美好 可以无忧无虑到处逛逛 然后就尽量努力了 fengweinku   (0 bytes , 432reads )
打倒黑暗的势力,其乐无穷 mkx   (26 bytes , 529reads )
昨晚看到你了 fool   (0 bytes , 409reads )
Computer Science Graduate School Survival Guide 辰星   (826 bytes , 699reads )
这个当顶。。顺便拜下费曼和Hitchhiker系列。。 马甲甲甲   (0 bytes , 442reads )
Conclusion 辰星   (2142 bytes , 491reads )
The Ph.D. job hunt 辰星   (11620 bytes , 722reads )
Balance and Perspective 辰星   (6543 bytes , 536reads )
Organizational skills and Communications skills 辰星   (9226 bytes , 513reads )
Interpersonal skills 辰星   (9228 bytes , 589reads )
Initiative, Tenacity, and Flexibility 辰星   (7375 bytes , 533reads )
Graduate school is a different ballgame 辰星   (3379 bytes , 446reads )
Academia is a business 辰星   (4975 bytes , 496reads )
Why get a Ph.D.? 辰星   (4029 bytes , 624reads )
Introduction 辰星   (4196 bytes , 492reads )
看开点 水鸭子   (1056 bytes , 615reads )
谢谢大家的建议 roseberry   (633 bytes , 584reads )
“最糟糕的是没有其他人能带我做” 水鸭子   (108 bytes , 470reads )
这个就是问题所在 roseberry   (64 bytes , 546reads )
还有这样的实验室啊。。。 watercooler   (108 bytes , 536reads )
没有动力去做好研究,那有动力干什么呢? Nemo   (232 bytes , 527reads )
忍不住回一下贴 阿修   (474 bytes , 856reads )
把对未知世界的渴望与追求转化成一个文凭,然后 二十一日上天   (6 bytes , 503reads )
他乡发照片征一个... 卷心菜   (0 bytes , 458reads )