Organizational skills and Communications skills
所在版块:心情闲聊 发贴时间:2010-07-01 19:44

用户信息
复制本帖HTML代码
高亮: 今天贴 X 昨天贴 X 前天贴 X 
Organizational skills
-----------------------------------------------------

"Failing to plan is planning to fail."

Since academia is a type of business, you will have responsibilities that you must uphold. You will be asked to greet and talk with visitors, give demos, show up to meetings, get projects done on time, etc. If you are not well organized, you will have a difficult time meeting those obligations. A technically brilliant student will be greatly hampered if he or she exhibits an "absent minded" personality and develops a reputation for being disorganized.

There are many different time management and organization skills, and you can find many books on those at your local bookstore. This guide is not going to describe them. Find one that works for you and use it. I can highly recommend Stephen Covey's book, listed in the references. But whatever system you pick, just make sure it works for you. I have never found anyone else who uses my filing scheme, but it is effective for me (by minimizing the combined time of putting away and locating a piece of information). All that really matters is whether or not it works.

One metaphor I found useful is the following: Organize your tasks as if you were juggling them. Juggling several balls requires planning and skill. You must grab and toss each ball before it hits the ground. You can only toss one ball at a time, just as you can only work on one task at a time. The order in which you toss the balls is crucial, much as the order of working on tasks often determines whether or not you meet all your deadlines. Finally, once you start a task (grab a ball) you want to get enough done so you can ignore it for a while (throw it high enough in the air so it won't come down for a while). Otherwise you waste too much time in context switches between tasks. Do you see jugglers try to keep each ball at the same height above the ground, frantically touching every ball every second?

Randy Pausch (a professor at CMU) has a set of notes on time management. Three words in his guide summarize the most vital step: Kill your television. He asks you to keep your priorities straight. What is the most important thing to a Ph.D. student? It should be finishing the dissertation, not watching every episode of Friends. That doesn't mean dropping everything else in life, but it does mean knowing what takes priority and allocating time accordingly.

Communications skills
-----------------------------------------------------

"What is written without effort is, in general, read without pleasure."
- Samuel Johnson

"Present to inform, not to impress; if you inform, you will impress. "
- Fred Brooks

I am always amazed that articles written about businesses consistently put good communication skills at or near the top of list of skills that employers want to see in people but rarely find. But you know what? It's true!

Communication skills, both written and oral, are vital for making a good impression as a Ph.D. student and as a researcher. At a minimum, you have to defend your dissertation with an oral presentation. But you should also expect to write technical papers and reports, give presentations at conferences, and give demonstrations to groups of visitors. If you can write and speak well, you will earn recognition and distinguish yourself from the other graduate students. This is especially true when giving presentations in front of important visitors or at major conferences.

Conversely, if you cannot communicate well, then your career options after graduation will be limited. Professors spend most of their time communicating: teaching, fundraising, guiding graduate students, and documenting their results (through papers, videos, viewgraphs, etc.) In industry, we need people who can communicate well so they can work in teams, learn what businesses and customers need, present their results, raise funds, and transition to leadership roles in projects and personnel management. If you are technically brilliant but are incapable of communicating, then your results will be limited to what you can accomplish alone and your career growth will be limited, both in industry and academia.

Unfortunately, not all graduate students receive training in giving presentations or writing technical documents (which are different from English essays). These are skills that can be learned! Don't worry if giving presentations and writing papers are not something that comes naturally to you. I was not very comfortable giving oral presentations when I started graduate school, so I made a concerted effort to learn how to do so, by taking classes, reading about the subject, and practicing. It's not easy, but it's well worth the investment. If you need practice, try giving informal talks at research luncheons, joining Toastmasters, and studying good speakers to see what they do.

Covering everything about this subject would fill a guide by itself (check out the SIGGRAPH page on preparing and giving presentations), and would probably better done through a videotape than a written document. But here are a few basic points:
- Organization counts. Within the first few paragraphs or first few minutes, tell me why I should read your paper or listen to your talk. Make it clear where we are going and what we have already covered.
- Make the text in your slides large enough so that people sitting in the back can read them. For large presentation halls, this usually means no more than 6-7 lines per slide and 28 point type minimum. You'd be surprised how many experts on visualization (especially tenured professors!) give presentations with unreadable slides.
- Variety retains interest. Vary your pace, tone, and volume. Emphasize the important points. Look around the room. Throw in some video, pictures, or live examples.
- Don't stand in front of the screen and block everyone's view. You'd be surprised how often people do this without realizing it.
- Point out the limitations of your work. That helps your credibility. Similarly, give credit where credit is due.
- Make friends with the A/V crew! Running A/V is a thankless, negative reinforcement job. If everything runs smoothly, well, that's what was supposed to happen so nobody says anything. But if anything goes wrong, the entire audience looks back at the control room. Help the A/V people help you. Always check in early and test the equipment. Tell them what you are going to do in your presentation (e.g. I'm running 3 video segments). Make sure you know how everything works long before you come up to the podium. And thank the A/V crew for their help after you are done!

Confidence is the key to giving a good presentation. And the way to gain confidence is to give good presentations. When you're just starting out, this is a Catch-22. However, once you become good enough, this turns into a positive feedback cycle that can make giving talks a pleasure.

Writing papers and getting them published is vital for Ph.D. students who want to get jobs in research after graduation. Your ability to write well significantly improves the chances that your paper will be accepted. When I was a young graduate student and read a paper that I didn't understand, I thought "Gee, I must be dumb." Today I will read the same paper and think "Boy, this is a lousy paper. The authors did not do a good job explaining and presenting their work." If I am reviewing that paper, such a reaction is enough for me to reject the paper.

Where do you submit your papers? Your professors will help you with this choice, but in general I would suggest shooting for the best conferences or journals where you think it has a reasonable chance of being accepted. It's not much more work to write, submit and present a paper in a highly respected venue than in less respected venues. And if you don't shoot for the top you'll never know if it would have made it. The field of computer graphics is a bit unusual in that the most desirable place to publish is a conference (SIGGRAPH), rather than a journal. Be aware that journals can take years to publish submitted papers; the turn-around time is much faster in a conference.

Finally, don't forget to communicate with your professors and your teammates. Keep your committee appraised of your progress. One thing I do (which few others do) is write short (1 screenfull) status reports, which I religiously e-mailed to my professors and team members on a weekly basis. These serve as an efficient way of keeping everyone up to date on what I'm doing. They are also a good way for me to record my progress. If I need to remember what I got done during a six month period, I have plenty of old status reports that I can read. You'd be amazed how appreciative professors and managers are of this simple practice. I also throw in a different humorous quote at the end of each week's report to reward people for reading it.

When you are working in the lab and you reach a milestone or achieve a result, let people know about it! Bring in your professors and fellow students and show it off! That's a win-win situation. It lets others know that you are making progress and achieving results, and you get valuable feedback and advice.
欢迎来到华新中文网,踊跃发帖是支持我们的最好方法!

Many events have slipped by.
And you are here, now, always.

People are not memories that you can put into words. They live.

相关帖子 我要回复↙ ↗回到正文
有没有读博士读到很想放弃,什么力量才能坚持下去呢 roseberry   (326 bytes , 2239reads )
就想想毕业后的美好 可以无忧无虑到处逛逛 然后就尽量努力了 fengweinku   (0 bytes , 432reads )
打倒黑暗的势力,其乐无穷 mkx   (26 bytes , 529reads )
昨晚看到你了 fool   (0 bytes , 409reads )
Computer Science Graduate School Survival Guide 辰星   (826 bytes , 699reads )
这个当顶。。顺便拜下费曼和Hitchhiker系列。。 马甲甲甲   (0 bytes , 442reads )
Conclusion 辰星   (2142 bytes , 491reads )
The Ph.D. job hunt 辰星   (11620 bytes , 722reads )
Balance and Perspective 辰星   (6543 bytes , 536reads )
Organizational skills and Communications skills 辰星   (9226 bytes , 512reads )
Interpersonal skills 辰星   (9228 bytes , 589reads )
Initiative, Tenacity, and Flexibility 辰星   (7375 bytes , 533reads )
Graduate school is a different ballgame 辰星   (3379 bytes , 445reads )
Academia is a business 辰星   (4975 bytes , 496reads )
Why get a Ph.D.? 辰星   (4029 bytes , 623reads )
Introduction 辰星   (4196 bytes , 492reads )
看开点 水鸭子   (1056 bytes , 615reads )
谢谢大家的建议 roseberry   (633 bytes , 584reads )
“最糟糕的是没有其他人能带我做” 水鸭子   (108 bytes , 470reads )
这个就是问题所在 roseberry   (64 bytes , 546reads )
还有这样的实验室啊。。。 watercooler   (108 bytes , 536reads )
没有动力去做好研究,那有动力干什么呢? Nemo   (232 bytes , 527reads )
忍不住回一下贴 阿修   (474 bytes , 856reads )
把对未知世界的渴望与追求转化成一个文凭,然后 二十一日上天   (6 bytes , 503reads )
他乡发照片征一个... 卷心菜   (0 bytes , 458reads )